Bikes, buses, balloons and boats – Laos

by - Sunday, March 29, 2015


Following a wonderful month back on Koh Rong (during which I became legally entitled to a drink in the US), and a brief stay in Thailand I headed to Laos.
Laos happens to be the one country on this planet that dislikes Canadians– which I gathered from the fact that we have the most expensive visa on the list.

Of course, having just left an island for another island I figured it was only fitting to head to the 4000 islands.


Four Thousand Islands (Don Dhet and surroundings)




A small waterfall

Khonephapheng Waterfall

After a week of eating too many samosas and drinking more shakes than is healthy heading north seemed like a good idea.

Pakse/Bolaven Plateau 








Thakhek Loop

There’s not that much on the map about central Laos, but about half way up I’d heard there was a loop that could be driven on scooters rented from the town of Thakhek.

After checking that insurance covered motorcycle accidents and finding that it did (so long as I wasn’t racing) we rented motos from a place at the edge of town called Wang Wang’s– They had relatively low mileage, started, and the brakes worked.
We were set.
Later I realized that the mileage didn’t change, my speedometer didn’t go higher than 10 clicks (although I definitely did), and the brakes didn’t work… Kidding! I mean, the brakes worked.

The road started off smoothly, which was good considering the lack of experience driving a weed whacker.













Day two saw us to the end of the pavement. We figured we should take a photo before the bikes broke down and we all turned red from dust, heat, and exhaustion:

Still looking cool




Shortly after this photo was taken we all looked like oompa loompas minus the green hair. Fortunately for us there was a convenient splattering of waterfalls and swimming caves/springs along the way.


>
The Cool Springs














Approaching the limestone karst mountains



Day 3 of the loop:

An early start saw us on the first boat through the 7 km long cave complex, Kong Lor.














I neglected to bring a tripod or flash so that's all you get




After visiting the cave we headed back to Thakhek. Really, really, fast I might add.

Viewpoint on the way back




Vang Vieng

While it had a reputation as a party town, I found Vang Vieng pretty relaxing... right up until the point I got driven off a bridge





The quiet side


The aforementioned bridge



Luang Prabang

And finally, the waterfalls that first convinced me to go to Laos over Vietnam



Kuang Si Falls


Luang Prabang to Huay Xai

A two day trip back to Thailand via the Mekong river.




It's good to be on the road again. More photos coming soon.

xoxo –EmmaSkye

You May Also Like

0 comments