Birds Eye View of Bangkok

by - Thursday, May 07, 2015



Warning: if prone to vertigo please refrain from reading this post.

The Expensive one 

One night at the Grand Eastin Sathorn in Bangkok cost the same as two weeks in Laos guesthouses combined.

A confused checkin due to someone forgetting their passport (hint: it wasn't me), and a slight elevator mishap later, we found ourselves on the 28th floor overlooking the Chao Phraya River.

Photo creds to this guy i
Fitting in with style






The food was incredible and I, unfortunately neglected to bring my camera for that part of the evening. 
Sadly the life of luxury was shortlived, but I hadn't quite finished living the high life. 


Much higher and much cheaper


No more than two days later we were on a bus heading to the Sathorn Unique, an abandoned 49 story skyscraper. Read about its history here

The stairs were well lit... or had no lighting at all. For some reason I'd neglected to think I might want a flashlight and half of the lights had burnt out. One minute we'd be reading signs dooming us to an eternity of suffering, and the next we were in complete darkness. Which for some (no names) was pretty much the same thing.

In all fairness I should mention that I kept expecting to trip over something less than savoury (ie. a corpse). A fact which I shared at regular intervals throughout the climb. I later learned someone was found up there weeks after he'd hung himself... 

By floor 30 the novelty of running up the stairwell had faded and I really missed the elevator from the other night. Not that I would have trusted an elevator in this place if there had been one; for all I know the cables would have turned out to be fishing line rated for 20lb double up a few times or some such madness. As it was I kept expecting to 
plummet through the floor– did I mention there were holes and it was dark?

All safety issues aside, the view upon reaching the top was incredible. 

I ran around taking photos while dodging holes and avoiding the bag covering something suspiciously human shaped.  

The unfinished roof, complete with a grass garden and graffiti

h That guy took this bit j and hk part was… You know what, it was a joint effort due to my lack of a tripod
Can you imagine all this with a tripod?!







Camera battery depleted, and worried we were about to be locked in for the night, we made our way back to the company of the mere mortals of this world. 

Ten hours later I caught a flight to KL and from there to Australia, where I am currently making friends with all the strange and poisonous beasts.

xoxo –EmmaSkye


You May Also Like

0 comments