Trekking in Nepal – The upwards half

by - Sunday, June 29, 2014

So I’ll start this off with a bit of an explanation as that was sorely lacking in my last post:

This past month [this was written a few weeks ago] saw my dad into his 60’s, and since that’s a big number– and by big I mean momentous, not that it’s a large number, although to be fair, it is– we figured, hey, let’s do something awesome!
Originally the idea had been to head to South Africa for a photo safari but numerous things got in the way of that plan and in the end we decided to go trekking in Nepal.




Later, as we hauled ourselves up a few thousand steps, I said to Dad, “we’re doing this now so that you can prove you’ve still got it; and so that you never want to do it again.”
He agreed.

Kathmandu – Day 112  to Day 113 


So, here we were, in Nepal, 40 years after my Dad was first here– as he liked to remind me, and everyone we met, whenever he could.
My dad had brought the necessities of life from home: my camera, coffee, and crest toothpaste– for some reason colgate is king over here. Oh right, there were cookies in there too.






And we’re out of the dark ages!!! [back to colour; my dad had changed a few of my camera settings and I had neglected to notice]




Into the Himalayas – Day 114  to Day 128 (this post concludes on day 122 ) 

We spent a total of two weeks trekking, which some will think not enough time, and some will think too much; we thought it was about right.





Dad once informed me that everyone was worried I’d fall off a cliff while taking photos; I reminded him that we were all worried he’d fall off. Period.












Our turnaround day saw up up to Mu Gompa, a rather well off and consequentially rather impressive monastery. 

A while back one of Devi’s friends had shown us a number of photos taken at a lake that was above Mu Gompa which I was immediately taken with and desperate to photograph. Dad hung around the monastery while Devi and I took off, heavily loaded with camera gear, which in retrospect was probably a mistake.
I was pretty happy with the view though.





On the way down we tried photo stalking yaks, which went well until we found a baby yak…

And with that I conclude the upwards portion of my time in Nepal. 
Part 2 will be along shortly.

xoxo –EmmaSkye

You May Also Like

0 comments